(1) The role of Barnstaple as a strategic retail and cultural centre will be sustained and enhanced to achieve qualitative and quantitative improvements through investment on town centre strategic sites.
(2) In line with the retail hierarchy the vitality and viability of the town centres of Barnstaple, Bideford, Braunton, Ilfracombe, Great Torrington, Holsworthy and South Molton, as defined on the Policies Map, will be protected and enhanced by focusing development proposals for retail, leisure, office and cultural facilities within defined town centres and through the positive management of regeneration measures.
(3) Employment, residential, community and health services, leisure and tourist facilities, attractive spaces and a balanced night life will be encouraged within the town centres and environs to achieve a mix of facilities and active town centres.
(4) In District Centres, as defined on the Policies Map, development will be supported where it would enhance viability, vitality and self-containment and where it would be proportionate to the role and function of the settlement.
(5) In all Policy ST06 and ST07 defined settlements and Rural Settlements, locally important shops, services and community facilities will be protected from loss and new provisions encouraged where appropriately scaled.